Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hand Dances

posted by Flynn N.A.S.A. grant artist Selene Colburn, writing about her work-in-progress, The History of the Future Suite

I’m not sure exactly what to focus on at times when I’m working in the studio alone. It’s a trade off between building the small, gestural movements for my solo and pushing my semi-injured, post-childbirth body into recapturing a more expansive vocabulary through improvisation. I usually end up doing a little of this, a little of that. Last night I made two phrases that started from with the hands, but rippled through the body more than usual. I practiced handstands. I danced with reckless abandon to the musical stylings of my muse Chan Marshall, while someone peered through the window.

Sometime between last night and this morning, (post-Lost, pre-3 am nursing?) my brain started fitting a bunch of separate ideas together for the group work., beginning to get a picture of how one cohesive piece might emerge.

And while I was trekking from the car to my office, I got an idea for a fill in the blank writing exercise (“In the future….”) to generate material that might or might not be used as a score for the group piece.


photographs by Selene Colburn

No comments: